New Order Mormon

(A New Hope)
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meditation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 am 

I know some of you meditate. I'd like to hear from those of you with experience about what your best resources for learning about it were. It's time. It's time for me to do this thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 am 

I'm totally getting into this, I find it to be far more spiritually uplifting than church ever was. The flip side is I have motivation issues (yay for depression) so I don't do it anywhere near as often as I like.

Things that have been really helpful for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Mindfulness-Learning-Way-Awareness/dp/1577314417

I've been horrible and really getting through the book, but I have made it about halfway. What I've learned has helped me find a bit more peace in my life.

I'm a big fan of Tara Brach. I bought a guided meditation CD that was really helpful in learning some basics of meditation. Just last night, I was looking for more of this type stuff because I want to learn more about Mindfulness and meditation, and I found her website. It has years worth of guided meditations and just lectures on meditation and mindfulness. Best part is they are free. I think listening a great place to start would be her four part introduction to meditation.

I haven't watched that but she gave some of this info on the CD I bought. I am planning to watch this soon though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:10 pm 

I've kinda done it half heartedly. I've read A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation so I understand some of the concepts. Last summer I would go to a certain park with my little prayer rug and read and just sit and enjoy the beauty. As far as a structured meditation, I have trouble doing that for very long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:14 pm 

Thank you. I will start looking into these websites and books. Bruno, where did you get your prayer rug? That sounds like an interesting object to have to make the meditation more like a ritual. I think I'd like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:33 pm 

Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook by Ajahn Brahm

Also, you may enjoy The Secular Buddhist podcast.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
-C. Hitchens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 pm 

Moonflower wrote:
Thank you. I will start looking into these websites and books. Bruno, where did you get your prayer rug? That sounds like an interesting object to have to make the meditation more like a ritual. I think I'd like that.

It is a small 1 1/2 foot by 2 1/2 foot carpet with a Persian design. I like to think of it as like a Muslim prayer rug. It has tassels on the ends end everything. I think I got it a a local rug retailer. It's really cool and I love it! I originally bought it years ago to put under my electronic drums so the spikes wouldn't go into the floor. Now I carry it in my Jeep with me everywhere I go. At one point, when I had some Muslim coworkers, I had hoped to beg for an actual prayer rug from someone who had used it for years and passed on. Kind of like a relic or something. I think that would be cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:09 pm 

Moonflower wrote:

I enjoy the Zafu/Zabuton that I use for mediation. I kind of like the ritual aspect of that so I get where you are coming from:

http://www.amazon.com/Buckwheat-Zabuton ... B000GOAEH4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 am 

I am following the Advanced Yoga Practices Website. It is totally free. Here is the lesson on Deep Meditation.

http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

A guru by the name of Yogani writes the free lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 am 

John Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living is a superb - esp for beginners. Get the audio version.