New Order Mormon

(A New Hope)
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:40 am 

A Salt Lake City woman filed a civil suit against LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson for harassment. Martha Anderson, 72, complained in papers filed in Municipal Court, that Monson has engaged in a pattern of stalking and harassment over the last two years.

“I had just moved into the neighborhood,” Anderson recounts, “and word must have gotten out that I’m a recent widow. One day a portly, elderly man appeared on my doorstep and told me he’d noticed my parakeets. Now, mind you, my parakeets are in a room facing the back yard, so immediately I wondered how this man knew about the parakeets? Had he been watching me? For how long?”

Monson, the suit alleges, offered to care for the parakeets upon Mrs. Anderson’s death. “I’ve been in the neighborhood two days, and he starts speaking ominously about my impending death. What was I supposed to make of that?” she said, shuddering slightly at the thought. “I told him to get off my property, or I’d call the police.”

Anderson thought that would be the end of it, but it was just the beginning. “I’d come home from work, and he’d be mowing my lawn or bringing me flowers. Once he brought about 25 kids over to paint the house. They didn’t ask, and they did a crappy job. And I hate blue.”

“Then I started getting phone calls from people who had heard Mr. Monson bragging about his service to me from the pulpit. He didn’t even get my name right: It’s Martha, not Marian.”

Eventually, a frustrated Mrs. Anderson phoned church headquarters to complain about the harassment. “The secretaries just gushed about his kindly service and said I should feel really blessed to have attracted his attention. No one took me seriously until I got a restraining order.”

Despite the restraining order, the harassment continued: “Cookies and casseroles kept coming. He replanted my flower beds three times. He even went after my grandson. Brandon was pretty shaken up by the experience. He said that this creepy man had jumped out from behind my apple tree and tried to shove a train set into his hands. He told me he thought he was being abducted.”

Salt Lake City police refused to enforce the restraining order. “Why would anyone refuse the personal ministry of a prophet of God?” asked an incredulous Sergeant Bob Jensen. “She should feel honored.”

Monson’s office issued a terse statement: “President Monson is widely known to have maintained a quiet personal ministry to the sick, the afflicted, and the widowed. We are saddened that anyone might take offense at his unselfish and Christlike service.”

As she filed the suit this morning, Mrs. Anderson was firm and unapologetic. “I had hoped it wouldn’t go this far, but someone has to put a stop to it. Think of all the defenseless widows who have suffered in silence from this insidious stalking. It’s time to break the cycle.”

http://runtu.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:02 am 

Is this for real?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 am 

Right. So this was your April 1st 2008 blog entry. Why are you re-posting it today at NOM? What's the purpose? Just curious.

http://www.progressivemormons.com/about/

1 Thess. 5:21 (NASB) "But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 am 

stealthbishop wrote:
Right. So this was your April 1st 2008 blog entry. Why are you re-posting it today at NOM? What's the purpose? Just curious.

I dunno. After listening to Monson's talk about the prompting to invite some guy to speak, I was in the mood for some humor.

ETA: I guess what bugs me is that he's always telling stories where he's the hero. Who does that? Who goes around giving examples of his or her greatness, service, and humility?

http://runtu.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:19 am 

Boy, you people have no sense of humor! :lol: :lol:

Gotta love the legacy of Monson and the widows.

Big green hugs,

Froggie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:22 am 

This is hilarious!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:03 am 

Runtu wrote:
ETA: I guess what bugs me is that he's always telling stories where he's the hero. Who does that? Who goes around giving examples of his or her greatness, service, and humility?

Monson is not alone. My coworker does that. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am 

Damn it! I was hoping it was true! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 pm 

Ehh...I also just really wanted this to be true. From a legal perspective, it would be such an interesting case.

Richard Rorty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 pm 

EysSphere wrote:
Damn it! I was hoping it was true! :lol:

Seriously, then the next version of the CHI would forbid creepiness as a means of magnifying our callings. Or stunts like showing up uninvited at like 9.

"Just as a cucumber is transformed into a pickle as it is immersed in and saturated with salt brine, so you and I are born again as we are absorbed by and in the gospel of Jesus Christ." -Elder Bednar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuMBmK5uksg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:15 pm 

Love this, Runtu! Thanks for posting it. It made me giggle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:32 pm 

Very funny. Love the train set moment.