New Order Mormon

(A New Hope)
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:28 am 

At some point in my journey, I started to see much of Lehi's dream in reverse, especially the part about the great and spacious building. I can't help but now see the church itself as the great and spacious building. Pointing, mocking, judging and condemning the rest of the word as they find their own way. In this example, the symbolism of the conference center is HUGE. It just seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 am 

Your insights are just as valuable as anyone elses. I can really see in the pictures, they are great and spacious building.

But great in only being ornate and spacious being well large.

So to me, they are a rather large ornate building on the outside, with little of substance inside. It should be the other way around.

Lovely inside, spiritually, feels homey, like you are welcome. But often I get the impression LOOKS outside are 99.9 % of everything and only .1 is every thing else in the church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:37 am 

-A

Last edited by Awake on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 am 

I just started realizing this recently too. Just look at the hundreds of temples that serve no real purpose except to waste time and keep us from the truly important work of helping the living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am 

Caprica wrote:
I just started realizing this recently too. Just look at the hundreds of temples that serve no real purpose except to waste time and keep us from the truly important work of helping the living.

Ya, I think somebody recently commented here, that for a church who doesn't believe is displaying the cross, our church sure spends a lot of time focusing on the dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:35 pm 

Excellent point, Mhize!

.... Pointing, mocking, judging and condemning .....

(Kind of like what we do here?) :mrgreen:

But it truly is the "pot calling the kettle black".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm 

To me, the conference center looks like any other mega-church. They should start selling tee shirts and other kitsch, maybe open a couple of Lion House Cafes inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:46 pm 

My brother in law unfriended me on Facebook over this. Seriously. I had gone to the Festival of Colors at the Krishna temple in Spanish Fork and posted pictures of the building. Everyone was ooohing and ahhhing the scenes when he got on and said "looks like a great and spacious building to me."

So I responded. "I would have to get 110 of these krishna temples (12,700 sq ft) to fill the Conference Center downtown SLC (1.4 million sq ft). "

And he unfriended me! LOL

Big green hugs,

Froggie

Last edited by Froggie on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:09 pm 

I find it interesting that only believing Mormons have mocked and ridiculed me for losing my faith and suffering through depression.

Seems to me that some people have not only got the building but the attitude.

http://runtu.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm 

Caprica wrote:

Then when you take into consideration that ONE FOURTH of these temples are so underused that you actually have to call ahead of time to get in, they really are great and spacious buildings! :shock:

And not to spend the time just doubting

Howard Jones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:52 pm 

Oh man, when they first built that thing , the first thing that came to mind was "Great and Spacious Building" "all manner of fine clothing" there's even the stream running near the sidewalk.

scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm 

quietblue wrote:
Oh man, when they first built that thing , the first thing that came to mind was "Great and Spacious Building" "all manner of fine clothing" there's even the stream running near the sidewalk.

scary.

For real...it's bizarre how deep the parallels run. I couldn't help thinking the finger of god when that random tornado swept through Salt Lake City as well when it was under construction.

It is people, it is people, it is people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:02 pm 

funny you mention that tornado,

that happened the day my parents divorced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 pm 

Awake,

your avatar is much more consistent with the BOM text in that if one presumes that Lehi is having a dream/vision and/or expressing a metaphor for his personal experiences, then we would have to consider his history.

What was Lehi doing before his dream? He was denouncing the religious leaders/community in Jerusalem. Laman and Lemuel claimed that the religious leaders/community were righteous. However, Lehi was a contemporary of Jeremiah. Jeremiah was an outcast (excommunicated) priest who said denounced those who served at the temple by declaring: "a temple, a temple" and yet you have polluted the gospel, etc.

So, why would not the great and spacious building that Lehi saw be the temple at Jerusualem--the religious center where those in power were condemning the likes of Jeremiah, Lehi and the other true prophets that were feasting on the true tree of life? And if so, then the closest parallel to our time would be the temple and the accompanying great and spacious buildings owned and operated by the temple goers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 pm 

Yeah, I have been seeing this as well for the last year. The parallels are creepily similar --- Hey, maybe the book of mormon IS TRUE! :)

The other thing that bothers me is the whole big cushioned red chairs. I think the book of Mark addressed that very issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 pm 

Didn't Prez Hinckley ADMIT that it was a 'great' building and 'spacious' (to the nervous laughter of the audience)?

”Most of the harm in the world is done by good people, and not by accident, lapse, or omission. It is the result of their deliberate actions, long persevered in, which they hold to be motivated by high ideals toward virtuous ends.” - Isabel Paterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:24 am 

Runtu wrote:
I find it interesting that only believing Mormons have mocked and ridiculed me for losing my faith and suffering through depression.

Seems to me that some people have not only got the building but the attitude.

+1

-lost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 am 

Froggie wrote:
My brother in law unfriended me on Facebook over this. Seriously. I had gone to the Festival of Colors at the Krishna temple in Spanish Fork and posted pictures of the building. Everyone was ooohing and ahhhing the scenes when he got on and said "looks like a great and spacious building to me."

So I responded. "I would have to get 110 of these krishna temples (12,700 sq ft) to fill the Conference Center downtown SLC (1.4 million sq ft). " ...

BOOM!