New Order Mormon

(A New Hope)
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:28 pm 

My wife is starting to shop for a temple dress or separates and is a little discouraged by what is offered through LDS Distro as well as some of the pricing on other LDS-targeted sites. Any suggestions for putting together a cute but inexpensive temple outfit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:09 am 

Isn't cute temple clothing like, an oxymoron? Hehe :lol:

LatterDay Bride usually has some decent stuff but it's expensive IMO. Take one of the pics and have someone figure out how to make it.

http://www.latterdaybride.com/temple-dresses.php?pg=1&style=22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:58 am 

My cousin used a white sweater and a long white skirt instead of a dress.

“...I thought it felt right, but that right was wrong...I'm trying to figure out what it's like moving on...so I'm picking up the pieces, now where to begin? The hardest part of ending is starting again!" -Waiting for the End ~Linkin Park

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:06 am 

Last year when I went to Utah to see my nonmember sibling and their family near Salt Lake City, I needed a temple dress and got this from an online Islamic store from Saudi Arabia. It cost me less than $100 and I got so many compliments from other women there at the Salt Lake Temple that it floored me. I kid you not, they loved it! Image I actually had so many of them asking for the web site, especially when I told them how inexpensive it was. You have to wait for a couple of weeks for shipment, but it's well worth it. :D The dress is all-white embroidery so it conforms to temple clothing standards.

http://www.desertstore.com/embroidered- ... -1615.html

Plus, your wife can have it tailor made to her size and height. The only thing I didn't like is that the dress did not have any side pockets so if she's handy with her sewing or knows someone who's talented, they can put one in for her.

And not to spend the time just doubting

Howard Jones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 am 

I have a temple dress I bought a few months before my disaffection I'd be willing to sell at 1/2 price if she's interested. I wore it all of 2 times before I left the church and surrendered my temple recommend. I'd throw in the long slip as well, which is older but in good condition. It's a pretty simple dress with a simple design, but it was comfortable. I can't get on to the lds distribution page 'cuz I no longer have my temple recommend, but the dress is called Tiger Lily and is a size 6. PM me if she's interested.

Oh this is not enough for a human to grow
-No Doubt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:02 am 

epiginosko wrote:
My wife is starting to shop for a temple dress or separates and is a little discouraged by what is offered through LDS Distro as well as some of the pricing on other LDS-targeted sites. Any suggestions for putting together a cute but inexpensive temple outfit?

What size is she? If she can wear a size 16, I'll send you mine! It's really pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:36 am 

mellyleah wrote:
epiginosko wrote:

What size is she? If she can wear a size 16, I'll send you mine! It's really pretty.

I think she's about an 8, but thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:44 am 

epiginosko wrote:
mellyleah wrote:
epiginosko wrote:

You're welcome. I'm not a 16 anymore. Just wanted to add that. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am 

mellyleah wrote:
You're welcome. I'm not a 16 anymore. Just wanted to add that. :oops:

Hey, no worries. I'm a size 40! :shock: lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 pm 

Does she sew or know someone who does? Any long-sleeved, high necked dress in solid white will work. If she plans to go to the temple often after your sealing, it is good to have a knit fabric that won't wrinkle when stuffed into that tiny suitcase. Most women like to have a dress for the sealing that is a little fancier, a little more special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:08 pm 

Oftentimes a normal white wedding dress can be easily modified to be temple appropriate.

Agitatrs r a set o intefering, medling people, who come down t som perfctly contnted clas o the comunty n sow th seeds o discntent amngst them. Tht is th reason y agitators r so abslutly necsry. Witout thm thre wud b no advnce toward civlisation O. Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 pm 

d0nquix0te wrote:
Oftentimes a normal white wedding dress can be easily modified to be temple appropriate.

Define normal! :lol:

Cause normal for where I live isn't really normal for Utah. Definitely depends on location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:50 pm 

I have a temple dress and clothes your wife is welcome to have. They have probably been used no more than 5 times. I will pm you with the details if you are interested. The dress is from White Elegance. It would be easy to get them to you since you practically live around the corner. :) (Star Stuff is my DH)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 am 

There is a new company that has great prices on LDS Temple Dresses...and they are very fashionable.

www.CelestialFashions.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:51 pm 

Too bad the women can't wear the jump suits... I might return for that :wink:

**Female, Married to the love of my life (who is also NOM) with 3 crazy offspring**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:56 pm 

I always rented everything even though I owned all my own stuff. It was just so much easier to show up with nothing and leave with nothing. I'm not good at keeping white things white and I liked beating DH out of the dressing room when I had nothing to fold. I actually preferred the tent dresses. Comfy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:43 pm 

epiginosko wrote:
mellyleah wrote:
epiginosko wrote:

I wonder if mine would fit her. Hmmm ... But then, it's not very cute. It's more classic than cute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:02 pm 

Wow, talk about coincidence. My wife just bought a dress for the temple for like 12 dollars after buying one for 35 from LDS.org .... the 35 dollar dress was not her size ( they get womens sizes WRONG - their system is inherently flawed) but the 12 dollar dress works wonderfully.

Not sure where - but it was not LDS operated at all ( go figure)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:46 am 

Try http://www.whiteelegance.com

They have some really pretty stuff there too :)

astroNOM, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:02 am 

I must admit, the first thought that came to my mind when seeing the title of the thread was how TBMs try to convince themselves that for some reason paying $8-$10 for a single pair of underwear (not counting bra for the ladies) is somehow cheap simply because it's broken up into two separate single-packs, a top and a bottom. Guys g's are about the same price, roughly, if memory serves.

You can get some really nice undies, and more than just a single-pack, for a lot less than that per pair...and yet, without fail, you ALWAYS hear it when you go to the distribution centers....like they are trying to convince themselves it's cheap or something.

OK, sorry for the minor thread distraction; I do hope you are able to find something. My wife wore her mom's wedding dress, it was really nice but I know she wouldn't be willing to part with it. I wish you luck in your search.

"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God." -- Martin Luther (Diet of Worms, 1521)