New Order Mormon

(A New Hope)
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:04 pm 

My oldest started seminary this year and hates it with a burning passion. I have a feeling that #2 will feel the same. Honestly I don't discourage his dislike because I think it borders on cruelty to make these kids go to church at least seven times a week (5 seminary, 1 YW/YM and Sunday) and wake up that early to go considering most have after school activities so we are talking a 14 hour day minimum and then homework.

If it were my call (it isn't) he wouldn't go. Today he was up at 5:45, seminary, school, football practice and then game tonight. 18 hour day for a high school freshman? He is so exhausted most days he collapses into bed as soon as he gets home.

So stupid. One more form of indoctrination to pull them fully into the fold before college and missions. BTW he also hates BYU so I have done something right!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:19 pm 

We're in Utah so we have release-time Seminary, which is good, because most of the classes have some kind of extra-time lab in the mornings...

My son is taking Seminary this year, even though he hates it and we hate it, because there was literally nothing else in the schedule he wanted to do. He's got a very full plate - three honors classes and an AP class and early-morning band - so we decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a do-nothing hour where he might be able to get some reading done. So far he's completely unimpressed with Seminary, and he doesn't plan on repeating the experience when he gets to the high school where they offer more variety in classes. (our ninth grade is still in the junior high)

My DD loves Seminary because it's fun and she gets to sit in the back with her friends and text people and giggle a lot. She does Seminary because everyone does Seminary and she'd get judged if she didn't.

Different strokes for different kids. I would encourage your son to sleep through Seminary if at all possible. That's how my DH survived.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:23 pm 

I think it's good and healthy for high school kids to be crazy busy. It's good for them and helps build them up for life. That being said, I don't think forced seminary is good for anyone. What does it accomplish to send a kid to seminary against their will? My DD is being forced to go and it is killing me. I hate it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm 

Jinx wrote:
We're in Utah so we have release-time Seminary, which is good, because most of the classes have some kind of extra-time lab in the mornings...

My son is taking Seminary this year, even though he hates it and we hate it, because there was literally nothing else in the schedule he wanted to do. He's got a very full plate - three honors classes and an AP class and early-morning band - so we decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a do-nothing hour where he might be able to get some reading done. So far he's completely unimpressed with Seminary, and he doesn't plan on repeating the experience when he gets to the high school where they offer more variety in classes. (our ninth grade is still in the junior high)

My DD loves Seminary because it's fun and she gets to sit in the back with her friends and text people and giggle a lot. She does Seminary because everyone does Seminary and she'd get judged if she didn't.

Different strokes for different kids. I would encourage your son to sleep through Seminary if at all possible. That's how my DH survived.

They take seminary in school? Wow! As much as my son hates it he would stick out like a sore thumb if he didn't go. Our ward and another ward combine and they all go to school together too so I don't want to make him the wierdo although his ride is out of town next week and dh hasn't realized this yet. I literally cannot take him as I drive across town to drop off our autistic child at a private school.

As far as being busy I agree to a point. Kids should still be allowed to see their family and be kids. He loves football so that isn't going to change but no sports in the spring. He sleeps through it as much as he can.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:14 pm 

I worried a lot as my oldest's ninth grade year approached. I really wasn't feeling willing to have him miss out on sleep just to go to seminary. He doesn't do well when there's too too much or without enough sleep. We seem to have solved the seminary problem by leaving the church about four months before he would have had to go. Every now and then, I make a comment about how he would have been at early morning seminary and we laugh about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 pm 

Busy might be good for kids, but sleep deprivation is not. It's dangerous if they drive, and it makes them perform about 10 IQ points below their level in school. And it's bad for their health.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 pm 

rumpole wrote:
Busy might be good for kids, but sleep deprivation is not. It's dangerous if they drive, and it makes them perform about 10 IQ points below their level in school. And it's bad for their health.

That is so true. When I taught early morning seminary years ago, one of my students got into a car wreck right in front of the building. Teen drivers and early morning are not a good combination sometimes. Fortunately no injuries. But it did make me wonder, I was very TBM at the time.

I pulled several of my children out of early morning seminary when they were obviously being pulled in too many directions. Their health comes first. But when we moved to Utah, the release time version was not so bad. Might even be a nice break for them I guess. A lot seems to depend on the instructor.

“I do not need any promise of eternity to be happy. My eternity is now. I have only one interest: to fulfill my purpose here where I am. This purpose is ... induced by some unknown factors. These factors make me a part of eternity.” ―Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:25 pm 

rumpole wrote:

No sleep deprivation is not good for anyone, it makes us stupid, cranky and taxes the body, and to your point about driving, it can be as dangerous as drinking and driving or cell phone usage. Studies have shown one that HS aged kids naturally have a later schedule, they sleep later and stay up longer, some kids are more sensitive to having this rhythm disturbed. Busy, that also depends on the kid and I also think down time and time for friends is important to development. I've never been convinced it is best for children of any age to have all their time directed by adults. I'm quite certain the vaunted WII generation didn't have someone supervising and directing their every moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:32 pm 

EternityIsNow wrote:
rumpole wrote:

That is so true. When I taught early morning seminary years ago, one of my students got into a car wreck right in front of the building. Teen drivers and early morning are not a good combination sometimes. Fortunately no injuries. But it did make me wonder, I was very TBM at the time.

I pulled several of my children out of early morning seminary when they were obviously being pulled in too many directions. Their health comes first. But when we moved to Utah, the release time version was not so bad. Might even be a nice break for them I guess. A lot seems to depend on the instructor.

Among the classes my kids enjoyed as a break in HS, were sewing, guitar, culinary, drawing and photography. All of these classes have had the added benefit of bringing their creativity into our home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:58 am 

SearchingSoul wrote:
If it were my call (it isn't) he wouldn't go. Today he was up at 5:45, seminary, school, football practice and then game tonight. 18 hour day for a high school freshman? He is so exhausted most days he collapses into bed as soon as he gets home.

You're right. It isn't your call, but it shouldn't be anyone elses either. If he doesn't want to go to seminary he shouldn't have to. Is there anyway you can get whoever is making him go to seminary have a change of heart. Maybe he could participate in homeschool seminary during football season.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:32 pm 

I loved my early morning seminary in Ohio. I know I am in the miniscule minority. We never had more than 4 students in the class. Our teacher really cared about us. I was a nerd and I wanted to learn the scriptures. I read through the BoM, D&C, New Testament, but only to Leviticus in the Old Testament. I did not do a lot of extracurriculars but I did great in school.

I wish more people had good experiences with seminary like I did.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 pm 

I had great experiences in Seminary, but I was truly TBM as a teen. It didn't hurt that my teacher brought brownies all the time. And I was really good at scripture chase, back when they called it scripture chase and it was a competition. I took second at the regional Seminary day. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:44 pm 

amimormon wrote:
SearchingSoul wrote:

You're right. It isn't your call, but it shouldn't be anyone elses either. If he doesn't want to go to seminary he shouldn't have to. Is there anyway you can get whoever is making him go to seminary have a change of heart. Maybe he could participate in homeschool seminary during football season.

It is my dh's call and he went to two different seminary classes daily. Scripture chase champ, loved it, etc. Luckily there is an hour between seminary and school beginning so he goes to sleep in the library (seminary is literally across the street from the high school).

BTW is should say "your" not "you" in the post title. I hate typos.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:12 am 

Unfortunately, my TBM DH has made early-morning seminary mandatory. :evil: And yes, I am the one who ends up doing the driving back and forth. I mostly bring my 2-in-1 notebook laptop with me and use it peruse social media and chat with a fellow NOMie.

And not to spend the time just doubting

Howard Jones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:58 am 

Liberal Mormon wrote:
Unfortunately, my TBM DH has made early-morning seminary mandatory. :evil: And yes, I am the one who ends up doing the driving back and forth. I mostly bring my 2-in-1 notebook laptop with me and use it peruse social media and chat with a fellow NOMie.

Hey, if he wants to make it manditory...maybe HE should be the one doing the driving.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:27 pm 

My 14 yo daughter has been struggling with seminary attendance this year. My 16 yo son goes regulary, even though he is exhausted w/ school, sports, etc. He does have a good teacher which helps. My daughter, on the other hand, has the boring teacher, and says she doesn't get anything out of it. She is also practicing 3/12-4 hours a day for her sport, and even has sporting events sometimes on school days. So she is feeling overwhelmed w/ all that & school.

My husband, meanwhile has been getting angry at her for not attending. So this has prompted some "discussions" between us because I have been defending her. So one day he started talking to me again about it, and I really feel God helped me come up with this line. I said "the church says the age of accountability is 8, and dd is that plus an added 6 years. I think we should let her use her free agency." That shut him up, he had nothing to say.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 pm 

nightwalden wrote:
I wish more people had good experiences with seminary like I did.

I went to five years of early morning seminary (starting in 8th Grade). While I didn't like getting up early, I did enjoy the social and laid back atmosphere of it. I played basketball in HS, but infrequently hung out with my non-member friends outside of school. I paid attention and enjoyed the Old Testament (twice), and the NT, as well. CH and BoM didn't interest me at all, but not for any foundational claims or doctrinal abnormalities.

Overall, I enjoyed my time in it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:39 am 

SBClosetMom wrote:
My husband, meanwhile has been getting angry at her for not attending. So this has prompted some "discussions" between us because I have been defending her. So one day he started talking to me again about it, and I really feel God helped me come up with this line. I said "the church says the age of accountability is 8, and dd is that plus an added 6 years. I think we should let her use her free agency." That shut him up, he had nothing to say.

Very good!

Close your eyes for your eyes will only tell the truth and the truth isn't what you want to see. In the dark it is easy to pretend, that the truth is what it ought to be . . . (Eric, The Phantom of The Opera, Charles Hart)